Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Meetings Meetings Meetings

I have had some very cool photo opportunities over the past couple weeks (DC Mayoral Candidate David Catania even used one of my accidental double exposures from the Adams Morgan Day Festival as his new Twitter banner)
David Catania Double Exposure
..and I have organized a few meetings for this week about photography projects that I have been conceptualizing for a number of months. Projects that will test me in new shooting scenarios and introduce me to the topics and stories that I want to be focusing on for a number of years now.

I have already come to the realization that these meetings are the key to gaining access to the types of photos I want to be shooting, and properly communicating my vision in a way that's mutually beneficial to all those involved will make it possible to undertake the projects that made me want to quit my job in the first place.

Envision. 

Communicate. 

Execute. 

Share.

This approach and mentality has been working through my mind endlessly for the past few months once I first started to consider the possibility of leaving my job and pursuing photography as a full-time endeavor. "If I were to take a crack at full-time photo, what would I want to work on, be associated with, be known for, make a living out of?"

I am a firm believer in David Hobby's Ecosystems 101 on the Strobist Blog, which generally revolves around the theory that if you go out of your way to photograph the themes, topics & subjects that you wan tot be involved with, those efforts will open doors to even greater opportunities in the future. But this doesn't necessarily mean shoot a bunch of things for free in order to get publicity/views (the go-to justification of all people looking to exploit a photographer for free photos), but rather start to build relationships with the people that are associated with the subjects and stories that I want to be involved with and see where these new threads lead to.

Working on these projects are going to introduce me to a whole new collection of scenarios, subjects, shooting conditions and expected outcomes, so I will be learning A LOT while I do them. Some are way outside of my comfort zone too but I guess that's how you start.

Envision. 

Communicate. 

Execute. 

Share. 

And repeat. Like, a million times.