Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Meet a Subject: Jo Ann Block

Next up in my Meet a Subject series is another visual artist by the name of Jo Ann Block. A DC transplant via California & Vermont, Jo Ann's work investigates the complexities and ambiguities of queer identity throughout historical and contemporary culture. I was first introduced to Jo Ann at her studio space in the DC Arts Studios on one of my afternoons devoted to the ArtistSpaces project and we immediately began her work and career, as well as creative culture in general. 

Most of my sessions for the ArtistSpaces project involve a long chat about an artists work and interests as opposed to me just jumping in and snapping away, and neither of us appeared to be in a particular rush when we started chatting. I did notice however, once she sat down, that elements of her latest work "TransSurfing" were creating an absolutely dynamic frame around her likeness. This incredible composition was staring at me for an hour as I held onto our conversation, completely blown away by the story of her latest project while being constantly taunted by the possibilities of the frame. 

My ArtistSpaces project is being shot with medium format Kodak film and a Bronica ETRSi, so when it came time to finally grab a frame of Jo Ann I setup on a tripod and took a few meter readings. The ambient light of the room wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either, and I wanted the direction of the light falling on Jo Ann to complement the background elements of the TransSurfing piece. So I grabbed a couple of her work lights and positioned them at high camera left and hoped for the best. It's interesting to work with continuous lights because you see the effects in real time as opposed to the split second flash of a strobe or hot shoe flash. I still prefer real flashes though but the flood lights worked in a pinch. 


Jo Ann Block, March 2015
Photographing another artist is a strange experience. There are so many expectations on both sides of the camera that the pressure can be a bit nerve wracking. Not in the sense of trying to photograph someone that is constantly obsessed with the appearance of their chins or other self-perceived hang-ups, but an emphasis on the photographer to work with the subject to create something great. Holding up your end of the bargain that yes, you can walk around with this "photographer" title. It's an incredible experience and the pressure is something I have become slightly addicted to over the past year. 

Jo Ann and I have continued to work together on projects, too, with our latest collaboration involving a photograph of her Bachmann Overdrive Reparative Conversion-a-tor 2010 Model, a science fiction play on the so-called conversion therapies touted by more out of touch elements of our society. 

For this piece, I channeled the likes of Dr Who lighting designers and Directors of Photography, asking myself "how would they light such an interactive object.." as I pieced together a concept. The results aren't exactly what I originally had in mind but pretty close for about 5 square feet of working space. It's amazing what a couple inches of colored gels can do to a scene. 


The Conversion-a-tor! 
Thanks for stopping by, 
Andy