Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Updates: It seems like an eternity..

..Since I last put together a blogpost. April was pretty busy and as I sat at my desk a few minutes ago planning out some blogpost topics to write out and publish over the next few days, I realized a general summary of my latest activities was in order.


In short, I have landed some fun & exciting new work that should lead to a number of fun projects and creative endeavors. I widened the scope of my business and in turn redirected the focus of my website, marketing and photographic materials used to represent my business and how I can be an asset to a wide range of new clients. I also transitioned from Apple Aperture to Adobe Lightroom for the management and manipulation of all new photographs, as well as the extensive archives of my previous work. This process was CRAZY and complicated by my nearly useless Aperture Library, a result of my long broken archiving practices. You reap what you sow. But I made it. Big thanks to my girlfriend for putting up with the deranged werewolf that inhabited our apartment during that treacherous time period.

In the film department, I have pretty much completely abandoned my trusty Epson flatbed scanner and am in the process of building what I have just dubbed the "Digitalization Station" as its replacement. The setup involves taking high resolution images of my film negatives with my full-frame D700 digital camera, and using those files for the digital archiving and sharing of my film photography. This process might sound counter-interutive (why not just skip film altogether and take a picture of the original scene with your digital camera in the first place, you ass!????), but makes quite a lot of sense from a workflow and convenience perspective. More on that when the Digitization Station is up and running.

Much of my time over the past few months has also been devoted to assisting a number of area photographers during their shoots and the knowledge, camaraderie and insights about numerous aspects of the photography business during this process has been invaluable to me and my professional development. It's a great way to learn how others do things, what works for them and what might be adapted into my working process, and also presents potential opportunities for more in depth collaboration in the future. I highly recommend it and wish I started assisting years ago. Many thanks to Moshe Zusman and Nat for putting up with me over the past few months.

My personal projects are coming along too, albeit slowly, but definitely surely. (don't call me Shirley)

Jo Ann Block, for the ArtistSpaces Project

Nancy McNamera's workspace

Taco Night! with the staff of Table DC

Ms Diane Ivey for Story League Portraits

Thanks for stopping by. For the remainder of this week, I will be clanking out blogpost adaptations of a number of documents I put together for a new DC Area Film Shooters group that I recently launched on Facebook. The group is supposed to be a resource for any photographers in the DC area that either shoot film or are interested in trying it out. The info-sheets I put together for that closed, DC focused Facebook group will run on this blog as a mini-series dubbed "On Film" and might be useful to film shooters everywhere.